Friday, September 4, 2009

turbans

I like the accessoiries in an outfit. In the 40's these were used a lot.
My favorite is the turban.

picture: Swing Fashionista
Everything starded when the women during the war had to work in the factories. They kept their hair pinned up under a scarf tied about their head into a turban. And so the scarf turban became an identificable element of the female industrial worker's uniform.

And I think that the turban was such a good idea to look good (and to hide away the messy hair) that they began to use these also for more elegant occasions.

Here 'instructions on how to tie your turban, Marie Claire, 1943.

Some variations...

Girls, I had a very preoccupied day but it seems that everything will be ok! Fortunately! I think that somebody above us, is taking care about me and my family!
So we have to be happy and enjoy of every moment in our life...
Have a good weekend, take care and smile!

pics:Forties fashion,Walford-the1940's look brown, the golden age of couture-wilcox

13 comments:

AlicePleasance said...

Ne ho uno di turbante,bellissimo, dovrei usarlo più spesso!

Che succede? Spero sia tutto ok...

Witchcrafted Life said...

Beautiful post, sweet heart. I don't look that good in the turban style myself usually, but I really admire it on stylish ladies of both the past and the present. Thank you for highlighting this quintessential vintage headwear style, such a lovely post!

Thank you so very much for all of your wonderful comments! I hope you have a marvelous weekend!
♥ Jessica

Galit - Lynn Stiklaro said...

love your blog,
lovely!! :)

Mademoiselle Coco said...

That is a lovely post. I have a anecdote about turbans. In France, during the invasion by the Germans, there was a strict dress code for French people. So strict that it was forbidden to have shorter or longer skirts. You had to follow the rules !
Except for the turbans ! That is why in France, we had so many huge and fancy turbans and hat !!

x

Rina said...

Thanks for this, I love all these accesories, I think is so femenine!

pumps & luiers said...

love the turban-style
so great that you're having a blast with your family, nothing is better

kiss

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, thanks for sharing! Have a beautiful week.

L'armadio del delitto said...

Io invece non ho turbante, ma invece mi piacerebbe!

Bellissimo post!

Unknown said...

Women in the forties were so fabulous!

Sharon Davis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Greetz from Tiz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon Davis said...

>Thank you all for the lovely comments!!
>Sharon Davis: your blog is very >nice! My graphics are all from my >fantastic books!!My treasures! Next >time I will insert the titles!

Titles are great, but a LINK is way better. Good for both our blogs!
I love your blog, if I ever use anything from it as inspiration for one of my posts, I will definitely link to you. Keep up the good work, and can't wait to see you linking to more of your sources!